Monday, March 15, 2010

Make It Monday: Packing a Bento

The past few weeks we have been talking about being more green. One way to do this is to pack bento lunches for you and your children. What is a bento, you ask? Bento is a single-portion takeout or home-packed meal common in Japanese Cuisine. Moms in the United States thought they were cool, and have been reinventing them. Bento lunches are designed to be 'greener' with less trash or waste - such as baggies, foil drink pouches, or saran wrap.

You can purchase fancy containers to pack your bentos in. When I pack mine I use plastic containers I bought at the dollar store. I then use silicone cupcake holders to keep the food separated. (I bought these at Joanne's with a 50% off coupon) It is a fun way to try new ways of packing a lunch. I have listed a few fun ideas below. We use our bentos for lunches as well as snacks. They are very handy in the car. I just hand the kids their box, and it keeps the food all contained. bentos are also a great way to make sure you are getting all the food groups and offering healthy choices. (Even if the healthy choices are not always eaten!)








Japanese Bento












































A Few Fun Blogs:

What's For Lunch at Our House

My Bento Lunch

Lunch in a Box

You may think the above lunches are too complicated, so make yours simpler. The coolest thing about bento lunches - kids love them. The best thing about bento lunches - the are better for the environment!

Your Girlfriend,
Melinda

No comments:

Post a Comment