Friday, March 5, 2010

Foodie Friday - Potato Pancakes

One of my favorite memories when I was younger is when my mom and I would go to this little diner. They served potato pancakes with sour cream and applesauce. They were huge, yummy and I loved spending the time with my mom. I thought I would share my potato pancake recipe. It is super easy and a yummy addition to any meal.

Potato Pancakes
Ingredients:
1 can of sliced or whole potatoes
1 egg

1 Tbsp. flour

1 clove garlic

1 tsp. milk


Drain and mash the potatoes. They can be slightly lumpy. Combine potatoes and all other ingredients in a bowl and mix. Take a small handful and pat into a pancake. (It will be a little hard to keep together until it starts cooking.) Place in a hot skillet that has been sprayed with vegetable spray. Let cook on one side for a few minutes, then flip over. The pancake should be browned on both sides. Serve with sour cream or applesauce.

I hope you can use this recipe or another to create a special time for you and your child. Remember, just spending a few extra minutes chatting can make memories that last forever!

Your Irish Girlfriend,
Melinda

*Just a helpful hint from the non-Irish Girlfriend: when I cooked potatoes for mashed potatoes last weekend, I put some of the cooked potatoes in a separate bowl and used them a couple nights later for potato pancakes. I just pulled them out, mashed them a bit, and added the ingredients. Worked like a charm!! Helpful since many of us do not have canned potatoes on hand.

No comments:

Post a Comment