Wednesday, February 3, 2010

Weigh In Wednesday - Weigh in on Complaining

I received a very interesting phone call a few days ago and I have been thinking about it the days since. A friend of mine wanted my advice on what to do about a relationship – a Facebook relationship. You see, she has a friend that is constantly posting bothersome ‘status updates’ and she wanted my opinion on what to do. What could be so bothersome that you might consider ‘unfriending’ a friend? Quite simply, her friend’s posts are filled with complaining, whining, negative thoughts, or flat-out general dissatisfaction with her life.

So I ask you, what do you do when things go wrong? How do you react? Are you a person who steps up and puts on a positive attitude or are you a complainer? Sometimes it is easy to fall into a whiney state-of-mind, but the Bible has some advice and inspiration about complaining…

Complaining, in essence, is saying "This isn't working out for me. I'm annoyed that I don't have - or am not getting - what I want right now." Whining, rooted in our sin nature, is part of the old self that we are commanded to put off (Ephesians 4:22). The original sin consisted of Eve doing exactly what my friend’s Facebook friend is doing – voicing dissatisfaction about the life God has provided to her. Eve wanted a different one. She and Adam were discontent with what they'd been given, said so, and then acted on it. This is the essence of complaining - dissatisfaction, lack of contentment, a joyless and unthankful heart.

What does the Bible say about complaining?

Complaining is a sign of being ungrateful - Yes, we have all complained at one time or another. Things don’t go our way and we are complaining about this and whining about that. We make excuses. Yet the Bible clearly says that complaining is a sin. Complaining shows an attitude that you are ungrateful and bitter and it often tests God’s patience.

Complaining can lead to disobedience - While the Bible says that complaining is a sin, it also states that it can lead to further disobedience. Along with complaining comes pouting. If you complain too much or focus on all the negative things going on in your life, you can lose sight of all the good things God does in your life. This can lead to an attitude where you lose faith and possibly cause others to lose faith too.

We need to remember that things will go wrong in your life – a sick child, a fight with a friend, the loss of a job. You can spend your time complaining, taking your eyes off of God, or you can remember all the other things God has provided for you. Not only will you be happier, but you will be a positive example to everyone around you.

As women, mothers, wives, and friends (Facebook or face-to-face), we must cultivate thankfulness in all things. We need to try and resist the temptation to complain, show dissatisfaction, or share negativity. Instead, we should try and seek happiness in each wakeful moment. Paul tells his readers in 1 Thessalonians 5:16 to simply, ‘Be joyful always’. In other words, strive to see the glass half-full. We can turn away from dissatisfaction and discontentment and give thanks instead of whine. (not wine girls...)

So, what advice would you give my friend? She will be reading…

Your joyful girlfriend,

Michelle

PS - As for the 'other' weigh-in, well... I have lost zero, zilch, zip, and nada this week. Yep, hanging at six pounds lost. I got strep last Wednesday and I think that threw my body into a tailspin. I did well on my eating this week, but have done zero, zilc, zip, and nada for exercise. I am sure I will see more results next week since I will start back exercising tomorrow - I mean, why do today what I can put off until tomorrow? (which leads to next weeks post on procrastination! Just kidding!)

1 comment:

  1. This was an awesome post!
    I have been trying hard to stop complaining so much, and you just gave me a totally new perspective. Thank you!

    ReplyDelete