Tuesday, February 16, 2010

To Give Up or To Take Up?


To give up or to take up... that is the question! With Lent beginning tomorrow, you may be asked, “What are you giving up for lent?” Some of the usual responses to this question are things such as sweets, alcohol, coffee, cursing, or anything we deem a unhealthy to ourselves – physically or spiritually. Well, I haven't decided what I'm giving up this year and, in fact, I am contemplating reversing the process and taking up something instead. I'm thinking Lent would be a great time to take on a new challenge, pick up a new good habit.

Yes, I know this is starting to sound like a New Year's Resolution, most of which have faded by this time of year. But, here’s the difference: do NOT take up this challenge without prayer. Take up this challenge with the full knowledge that without prayer, you have only your own strength to accomplish any goal. After some serious thought and prayer, I've decided what to take up, instead of what to give up. My new habit is to take a walk every day. I decided on this as my new habit because it will benefit me in many ways. Walking is good for me physically. Walking with my husband is good for my marriage because it offers me time to talk and listen to my husband. Walking benefits me spiritually because when I walk alone, I can think, pray, and just have some quiet down time – which I don’t do often enough. You would think this would be a simple task that I could handle on my own, but apparently it is not or I would be doing it already! I need to rely on prayer for an adjustment before I can successfully take on my new habit.

Unsure of what you want to give up or take up? I suggest that narrowing the focus to a single habit would be most effective, and by the end of six weeks, it's more likely to be a permanent habit.

Need some ideas? How about...

fold the laundry straight out of the dryer
plan dinner before 10am
begin a daily devotional time
finish all the dishes before bedtime
make your bed everyday
write a note to a friend (different one each day)

So, what will you be 'taking up' for lent?

Your Girlfriend,
Michelle
PS - The graphic for today's post lists the top 100 things bloggers from all over the globe are giving up for lent. The largest spelled items are the items most often chosen. I thought it was interesting.

1 comment:

  1. I like the Wordle with the Lent ideas . . . interesting.

    I like the idea of taking something up as opposed to giving something up. I do usually give something up as a sacrifice, but the idea of trying to add on a good habit as opposed to just giving up chocolate has always seemed more beneficial to me. Maybe at the end of 40 days I'll have a good habit as opposed to starting to eat chocolate again.

    Thanks for inviting us on the journey with you! I'm looking forward to 40 days of growth with the girlfriends with grace!

    ReplyDelete